Professional Examination Service is the most experienced organization in professional credentialing. Founded in 1941 as the testing arm of the American Public Health Association, Professional Examination Service became its own not-for-profit entity 30 years later in order to more effectively serve credential sponsors both within and outside of health care.
- Mission. As a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit, ProExam (formerly known as PES) has a core mission of promoting the public welfare by demonstrating, and communicating, the value of credentialing whether it’s for voluntary certification or required licensure. Credentialing, done properly, serves the public by acting as an independent “seal of quality” and allows credential candidates to attain greater personal satisfaction or professional stature by having their skills and accomplishments recognized.
- Services. ProExam provides a full set of assessment and advisory services to organizations and institutions that sponsor and issue credentials. And we work across a broad range of industries and occupations, applying our proven processes and deep insight to certification and licensure programs, as well as assessment and certification tied to training and higher education, continued assurance of competency and accreditation.
- Approach. ProExam always starts with the perspective that creating a sound credentialing program is one of the most important activities an occupation or institution can undertake. We then work collaboratively with clients to build and enhance programs, in whole or in part. We first understand a client’s own mission as it relates to credentialing, analyze the requirements that relate to a credential, create items and exams (leveraging secure technologies), and deliver the assessments by a method that is both appropriate and convenient: computer-based, Internet-based or traditional paper-based testing.
- Clients. ProExam works with more than 60 professional associations and over 100 different licensing boards in 62 U.S. and Canadian jurisdictions, and tests candidates in every part of the world. Our clients include such well-known organizations as the Project Management Institute (PMI), HR Certification Institute, Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards, and American Academy of Nurse Practitioners-Certification Board. Professions and industries we work with span accounting, higher education, engineering, energy, financial services, food services, health care, information technology, management, medicine and security.
- Involvement. ProExam believes in investing in the credentialing community. We do this through initiatives such as the ProExam Fund, and in contributions to numerous publications and books, conference presentations, and volunteer work with industry associations.
We’re personal, flexible and trusted because we’ve been helping set standards in credentialing for seven decades – and will support our clients and their stakeholders for decades to come.